Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pinoy Favourites

I was introduced to Pinoy food during my 1st trip to Philippines in 2007. I was surprised that their style of cooking and ingredients used bears some similarities to the Chinese cuisine. Pinoys certainly love pork, fish and chicken like the Chinese. I love Pinoy food so much that I’ve learnt a few dishes and cooked it regularly for my “Kuya” (Tagalog for older brother). Presenting my favourite Pinoy food... taaadaaa~~~

The Pinoy Chap Choy. Other than a few varieties of vegetable, they use pork belly too. No.. it's not oily.. It's simply delicious.

Hahhaaa.. Laing - Taro leaves cooked in coconut leaves, chilli and lard. It looks shitty but it's very very delicious. PJ told me it's difficult to prepare. Mishandling of taro leaves will make your lips itchy.


The Pinoy Porride for breakfast. Pinoys don't usually eat porridge. However, I discovered this @ Station 1, Boracay. It's the usual Cantonese style porridge served with hard boiled egg, spring onions, fried shallots and lime. It's light and refreshing.. A great dish to start off your day on a vacation.

Kare-kare. Had this @ Green Belt, Manila. It is made from peanut sauce with a variety of vegetables, stewed oxtail, beef, and occasionally offal or tripe. It's usually served with It is often eaten with bagoong (Philippines shrimp paste).



Last but not least.. my beloved Sinigang !! It's tamarind soup based with pork, kangkong, eggplant, long beans, tomatoes and onions. It's the Pinoy dish that I'll cook at least once a month..

No comments:

Post a Comment